Reading Rules: then and now

1. When I was a kid, I could only read one book at a time.
NOW, as evidenced by "My current reading list," I'm reading at least five. (In reality, the number is higher, but I will not disclose exactly how many books lie opened and unfinished around the house.)
2. At one time, any book, once begun, is a commitment. Not completing a book once the first sentence had been read was tantamount to lying to your mother.
NOW, I give myself permission to give up on a book that doesn't interest me. Life is too short to be stuck in between unimaginative pages of insipid novels.
3. For a short period, I boycotted romantic and comedic fiction, reasoning that someone with a certain level of education should read only worthy tomes, that descriptor coming from an illogical gap in my theretofore reasoning.
NOW, I delight in the written word, no matter what the genre. If I am free to be intrigued by the title, preface, etc., I am free to enjoy it guilt-free.
4. I used to believe that a book on CD was really not a book, and shuddered to think that some people can stoop to enjoy a story read by someone else.
ONE DAY, I woke up and remembered that one of my favorite memories as a kid revolved around hearing stories read and told. This summer, I read about 5 books on tape while I was driving around town. Now that's a smart way to make progress on that looming reading list.
That list is for another day...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home