Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Meditation I of Mari Beth

Marcus Aurelius was a stoic philosopher and Roman Emperor who lived in the 2nd Century. When he meditated, words of wisdom emanated from his pen. In a feeble attempt to pay homage to the thinker, I would like to use his Meditation I for my own reflections.

1. From my maternal grandfather, Russell Abram, I learned good morals and self-control.

2. From my father, never to settle for a man who does not deserve me.

3. From my mother, generosity, service, and modesty in all things.

4. From my paternal grandfather, Rev. James Allen, to study Scriptures and not let any man’s words distract me from Truth.

5. From my mentor, Dr. Glenn Martin, to know what I believe and why, and furthermore, to know what I do not believe and why not.

6. From my teacher, Dr. Marjorie Elder, to be a reader and hearer and not allow injudicious opinions to hold sway over my intellect.

7. From Deepak, I learned that my character needed improvement and discipline; and from him I learned how to value myself more dearly.

8. From my sister, Teresa, who is my number one fan and champion, I learned to keep my goals and dreams before me; her own strength and resilience have been a beacon for me.

9. From my grandmother, Iva Alice, good humor and the example of a matriarch who managed her household well by spending much time on her knees praying for providence for her family.

10. From a former employer, word-smith, and belles-lettrist, I learned to enjoy my penchant for perfecting my use of language; I learned the facility for artfully correcting ill use of the language, thus, became a teacher myself.

11. From my employer, unbeknown to such, I learned first hand what a monster envy and duplicity can be; I eschew the very appearance of covetous attitudes and understand the root of said attitudes.

12. From my dear friend, Karen, not to offer excuses for there is no excuse that transcends friendship; we are kindred spirits.

13. From my dear friend, Cheryl, to withhold judgment when I am tempted to be mean-spirited; I have also learned to accept bona fide commentary on my own shortcomings.

14. From my brother, David, to love my family and honor them; he is loyal and honest above all.

15. From my grandmother, Sylvia Adeline, I observed self-control and quietness; her spirit was a mixture of sweetness and strength and dignity. According to her husband of 74+ years, she never raised her voice, a testimony to her depth of steadfastness.

16. In my future husband, I will find a kind, generous, even-tempered gentleman, who is humble; he will have accomplished just enough in his studies to feel confident of his own identity, but not enough to be vainglorious and arrogant. He will show compassion to all of God’s own, be quick to forgive, and willing to show mercy. His mind will travel miles above the ordinary while his enjoyment of life will keep him planted solidly on terra firma. He will understand the seriousness of existence, but will be able to revel in the hilarity of humanity.

17. To God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit, the three in one, the Holy Trinity, I am indebted for having a legacy of right living and longevity. I believe that though, imperfect, I may look forward to an eternal home where it will be my sole task to give glory to the Everlasting Father God.

So, Marcus is long-winded. I shaved quite a bit of verbiage in my rendition of his Meditation I. I suppose when I become Empress of something, I may have more to say.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Beth, for the inclusion in your list of influential people in your life. You mentioned that as you received my moanful email you had just written this piece in which you said I was strong. I do belive underneath it all I am strong - but it is because of the other stong women living and dead in my life who are also strong - you, mom, both grandmas, Aunt Nancy, Tonya, My best friend Georgia, Anabelle (my ss.s. teacher from FL), my mother-inlaw and sister-in-law and I even think a few of the women who have made me ask why are you in my life such as ....well, you know who they are! I would also like to tell you that just a day or two before you wrote this, in fact maybe the same day, I prayed to God asking him to send you a husband - I specifically mentioned some of the qualities you had listed. Now how is that for two or three agreeing. I think you should add the book Sacred Marriage to the list of books you are currently reading, or not reading as the case may be - it will help you see that marriage is not necessarily about your happiness and it will help you prepare to be the dream of your husband as well as him being your dream. When you find him, make him read the book before the marriage! I have rather enjoyed reading your blog and catching up with you. You are way more of a writer than I will ever aspire to be - but the dream still lives. Remember to put a little orange into all of your days!
Teresa

08 February, 2007 13:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home